Sunday, July 10, 2011

A DVD for dealing with "Numbers Envy"

It's happened to most of us -- and happens to me on a regular basis it seems:

You're performing for friends or family or whatever and just getting into the good stuff when someone innocently asks you, "So, how many can you do?"  (Meaning "How many objects can you juggle at the same time?" of course.) And if the answer is less than twelve or so, you might start to feel inadequate.  I know I do...

But we all know that juggling as entertainment goes 'way beyond simple counting.  There are creative and artistic elements to juggling as performance -- and (my opinion!) nothing does a better, more concise, more entertaining job of pointing this out than the IJA's tape of The Beauty of 3-Ball Juggling

I now have DVD copies of this tape, which is no longer available through the IJA.  And they're available for the ridiculously low price of $8.00.  Cash only -- no muskrat pelts will be accepted at this or any other time. 

Those of us who have been involved with juggling for a decade or more will certainly recognize many or even most of the performers -- and that alone makes this video fun to watch. 

Some of the tricks shown are fairly easy to understand and include in your repertoire.  Others are mind boggling -- but intriguing to watch.  All of them are (to me) inspiring and open avenues for future work and development. 

The quality of the video is somewhat degraded, and the colors are a bit washed out.  But the tricks themselves and the performers are completely recognizable and the audio is perfectly fine. 

Please let me know if you're interested in a copy by catching me at a THJ practice or e-mailing me at GotaJugl@msn.com

No comments: